Mock Draft #1
1) Oakland Raiders: Calvin Johnson/WR/Georgia Tech
Owner Al Davis loves Johnson's potential and feels Johnson gives the team the
badly needed playmaking ability they're not getting from veteran WR Randy Moss.
QB JaMarcus Russell or a trade down.
2) Detroit Lions: Gaines Adams/DE/Clemson
They badly need pass rush help and Adams will give them that.
Ultimately, the Lions would prefer to move down a few slots, collect some extra
picks, and select Adams.
3) Cleveland Browns: JaMarcus Russell/QB/LSU
Analysis: They finally get their franchise signal caller.
Other possibilities: Joe Thomas or Adrian Peterson who would fill other
4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Amobi Okoye/DT/Louisville
After trading veteran DT Anthony McFarland
last year, they're in major need of a young interior defensive tackle.
They'd take Gaines Adams here if he dropped.
5) Arizona Cardinals: Joe Thomas/OT/Wisconsin
They'll probably turn the card in quickly
for this selection of Joe Thomas who would finally give them a franchise left
Trade down to select Jamaal Anderson.
6) Washington Redskins: Jamaal Anderson/DE/Arkansas
Analysis: They badly need a defensive end to help boost their sack paltry
sack total of 19 from last season.
Other possibilities: We expect them to
deal this pick where they could select Anderson a few selections down. A trade
for Chicago Bear LB Lance Briggs is still a possibility for this selection.
7) Minnesota Vikings:
He would give the team a great one-two punch at the position.
Other possibilities: Jamaal Anderson, if he
drops or LaRon Landry.
8) Atlanta Falcons (from Houston):
They need a playmaker in the secondary and Landry would give them that.
Adam Carriker or Jamaal Anderson if he drops to them.
9) Miami Dolphins: Brady Quinn/QB/Notre Dame
Analysis: They could finally solve their issue at quarterback with this
Other possibilities: Leon Hall or Adam Carriker
who fits their scheme well.
10) Houston Texans (from Atlanta): Leon Hall/CB/Michigan
Analysis: They badly need a cornerback to start opposite Dunta Robinson.
Other possibilities: Revis or a trade down to select Darrelle Revis or Reggie Nelson.
11) San Francisco 49ers: Adam Carriker/DE/Nebraska
Analysis: Carriker is exactly the end they need to fit their 3-4 scheme.
Other possibilities: Patrick Willis is a strong consideration here as is Ted Ginn.
12) Buffalo Bills: Patrick Willis/MLB/Mississippi
Analysis: They're looking for a system fit at MLB and Willis is it.
That way they can keep LB Angelo Crowell outside.
Other possibilities: Marshawn Lynch to fill a major need.
13) St. Louis Rams: Darrelle Revis/CB/Pittsburgh
Analysis: They need to replace journeyman CB Fakhir Brown.
Other possibilities: A trade down for Alan Branch or a trade up for Carriker.
14) Carolina Panthers: Reggie Nelson/S/Florida
Analysis: They're looking for veteran S Mike Minter's replacement.
Other possibilities: Olsen who would finally give them their first solid
tight end since Wesley Walls.
15) Pittsburgh Steelers: Anthony Spencer/OLB-DE/Purdue
Analysis: They need a younger replacement for veteran OLB Joey Porter.
Other possibilities: Carriker if he drops. A surprise selection would be
Ted Ginn here who would handle special teams returns and give new offensive
coordinator Bruce Arian an explosive playmaker.
16) Green Bay: Marshawn Lynch/RB/California
Analysis: He'll fill a major need.
Other possibilities: Ted Ginn who would give them badly needed speed at
17) Jacksonville Jaguars: Jarvis Moss/DE/Florida
Analysis: They badly need pass rush help.
Other possibilities: Reggie Nelson if he makes it here or Ted Ginn who would finally
give them a receiver with true football speed.
18) Cincinnati Bengals: Aaron Ross/CB/Texas
Analysis: They badly need a young cornerback who is capable of starting.
Other possibilities: Alan Branch who would
fill a need.
19) Tennessee Titans: Robert Meachem/WR/Tennessee
Analysis: He would fill a major need for the team.
Other possibilities: Ted Ginn or Dwayne Jarrett.
20) New York Giants: Joe Staley/OT/Central Michigan
Analysis: After releasing veteran LT Luke Petitgout, Staley will be his
Other possibilities: Alan Branch or Aaron Ross if he drops.
21) Denver Broncos: Alan Branch/DT/Michigan
Analysis: They're looking for defensive line help.
Other possibilities: Michael Griffin who would fill another need.
22) Dallas Cowboys: Dwayne Bowe/WR/LSU
Analysis: He'll give them immediate depth plus he could be the eventual
replacement for veteran WR Terrell Owens.
Other possibilities: Robert Meachem or Anthony Spencer if they drop.
23) Kansas City Chiefs: Levi Brown/OT/Penn St.
Analysis: The ability to play both tackles spots is enticing for a team
with a mediocre offensive line.
Other possibilities: Ginn.
24) New England Patriots (from Seattle): Paul Posluszny/LB/Penn St.
Analysis: They have a big need for a young inside linebacker.
Other possibilities: Chris Houston who also would fill another need,
Marcus McCauley, or Ted Ginn.
25) New York Jets: Greg Olsen/TE/Miami-Fla.
Analysis: They have a big need for a young playmaker at the position.
Other possibilities: One of the top remaining CBs.
26) Philadelphia Eagles: Michael Griffin/S/Texas
Analysis: Here's the eventual replacement for veteran S Brian Dawkins.
Other possibilities: One of the top remaining CBs who could challenge CB
27) New Orleans Saints: Justin Harrell/DT/Tennessee
Analysis: They badly need a young interior defensive lineman.
Other possibilities: Olsen if he drops,
of the top remaining CBs, or Ted Ginn.
28) New England Patriots: Marcus McCauley/CB/Fresno St.
He would fill a need for a young cornerback.
Other possibilities: Ginn.
29) Baltimore Ravens: Ben Grubbs/G/Auburn
Analysis: They’re looking for interior help for the offensive line.
Other possibilities: Ginn or one
of the top remaining CBs
30) San Diego Chargers: Ted Ginn Jr./WR/Ohio St.
Analysis: Boy do they need a young receiver who can run.
Other possibilities: Michael Griffin if he drops.
31) Chicago Bears: Lawrence Timmons/LB/Florida St.
Analysis: He would be the replacement for Briggs if needed.
Other possibilities: Best remaining CB.
32) Indianapolis Colts: Anthony Gonzalez/WR/Ohio St.
Analysis: They're looking for a slot receiver.
Other possibilities: Dwayne Jarrett or Justin Harrell
if he drops.